What is Sciatica?
Sciatica is an extremely painful and debilitating condition in which pressure on the sciatic nerve causes pain to radiate into your legs. It often presents with burning, numbness and tingling sensations as well as sharp, jabbing electric shock pains. Muscle weakness in the lower limbs is another frequent symptom of sciatica that requires careful monitoring.
What Causes Sciatica?
* spinal misalignments, vertebral dysfunction
* herniated disc, disc prolapse
* poor posture – wearing high heels, prolonged sitting, poor mattress
* poor lifting technique and poor bending habits
* spinal compressions due to osteoporosis
Treatment if focused on reducing the pressure on the sciatic nerve
* Massage therapy and trigger point therapy
* Stretching tight muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments
* Ultrasound and other electrical stimulation devices
* Advice in relation to how to minimise pressure and irritation of the sciatic nerve