Calf pain is a common complaint which can make everyday activities such as walking or running difficult and painful. It is a particularly common issue for people participating in sporting activities which include running.
This kind of pain is often the result of injury caused by overuse of the calf muscles, or in more acute cases, a torn calf muscle. Other causes may include underlying medical conditions such as sciatica and deep vein thrombosis (DVT), as well as issues with nerves or arteries associated with the calf muscles.
Common symptoms of calf pain include:
- Ache and tightness felt in the calf during periods of activity
- Pain settles quickly after activity, but may experience some ongoing tightness
- In the case of a calf tear, you may experience some swelling or bruising.
Treatment of calf pain can vary depending on the cause of the pain, but treatment may include:
- Exercise therapy – this would include a personalised rehabilitation program based on individual assessment
- Dry Needling – this technique can assist in unloading the muscles, stimulating blood flow and reducing pain
- Taping – helps reduce muscle load through the calf and provides some support.
- Custom orthotics and footwear
If you are suffering from calf pain, our experienced physiotherapists can provide you with an individual assessment, and develop a treatment plan specific to your needs.
Book an appointment today